Saturday, September 23, 2017

Day-th, Doth, Die-th

"A Daith piercing is an ear piercing that passes through the ear's innermost cartilage fold, the crus of the helix. In most areas this piercing is pronounced "day-th" although the proper pronunciation is "doth" rhymes with "moth"."

***I have spent the last 30 minutes researching the etymology of the word Daith and come to the conclusion that it is simply a Piercers term. ....Gemma is sleeping so what else do I possibly have to do? ***

After a year of deliberating, researching, and talking to piercers, acupuncturists, and experienced friends...or the random stranger down the makeup aisle at target...I decided to pierce both of my ear's Daiths. I am writing this post for the friends who are curious how it is going and for anyone curious about Daith piercings.

I have had migraines ever since I had Gemma. At least one a week. Now I say this feeling guilty because I have two sisters who have incredibly intense migraines and have suffered for years. I am not quite on their level of superhuman. I literally don't know how they live sometimes. However, I have these migraines and after two weeks of a consistent migraine I got in the car and drove to a Pierce shop I had been researching and pierced my ears. DJ pierced my right side first and I kid you not it was as if the right side of my brain, neck and spine took a breath. He then pierced the left side and I had the exact same brain breath. I laughed and I may have even cried a little bit. As we drove home I came to the conclusion that I have had a headache everyday for my entire life. I had never felt so clear, so pain-less, so awake.

It has been a full a month since and I have had exactly one headache since. Not migraine...headache. Curable with some Excedrin and a coke. Lasted maybe an hour. THAT IS IT! But wait there's more. Ever since I can remember I have had nightmares almost every night. Some aren't so awful but others have made it impossible for me to sleep, or want to sleep, or stay asleep. I believed that I had an over active semi dark Hitchcock-esque brain. As stated before it has been a month since my piercing and I have not had a nightmare since. I have had comical dreams, weird dreams but nothing that woke me up or fueled my insomnia. This has been my favorite part of my new bling. Words cannot adequately express the relief this has brought into my life.

So not only are my headaches and migraines gone, so are my nightmares. So dear friends if you are considering this piercing for migraine relief...give it a try. If it doesn't work for you then you can always take them out. I am aware that there is no science behind piercing your daiths, no Doctor stamp of approval but I am living proof that it helped me. I was at my Dr's office a few days ago and he noticed my ears and he mentioned that he has had several patients try the same thing and had similar success. PS I love my Dr. He is the best Dr. I have ever had. Whatever he says is gospel.

As most of my three readers know (Hi Mom and Dad!) I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints aka Mormon. We believe in modest dress which includes one set of earrings for women. However upon further investigation there is a "but" to this rule.

"Latter-day prophets strongly discourage the piercing of the body except for medical purposes. If girls or women desire to have their ears pierced, they are encouraged to wear only one pair of modest earrings." (https://www.lds.org/manual/true-to-the-faith/body-piercing?lang=eng)
I consider Migraines to be under the category of Medical Purpose. If you believe otherwise please contact either of my sisters or google symptoms and side of effects of migraines. I do not think I am less of a member or at fault for this. I am a better wife, mother, person sans migraines. I have more peace without nightmares. This was a good move for me.

Anyway...this concludes my bla bla on my current life choice. If you have any questions or would like to hear more bla bla on this topic call me up!

ps Yes I do believe my cool factor has gone up significantly since ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment