Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Late Twenties

I am one of those people who has always declared her birthday as a national holiday. I don't go to school or work or obligations on my birthday, calories don't count chores don't get done and shopping  happens. Well this year I was not feeling it. I didn't even stay up till midnight and dance it out to my designated birthday song (gasp). I fell asleep last night telling Joe that I didn't even care about the next day. I had zero expectations and no requirements.  Now step into Joe's shoes for a minute...he's married to the birthday freak! Every year he has to come up with new ways to surprise and make me happy for my special holiday. He has done pretty well over the years surprising me with great gifts  and concerts and shopping sprees. I know my birthday stresses him out so I thought I was giving him a nice out this year. I was not interested in celebrating my entrance into (gulp) my late twenties. So I went to sleep next to a frustrated husband who had the mother load planned for the next day aka today. My twenty seventh birthday.

I sleepily woke up to an empty bed at nearly ten am this morning. Where was Gemma? Probably down stairs bugging Joe while he worked. I picked up my phone and had a text from Joe which said...happy birthday massage at noon! Ooh a great start to birthday. Gemma and joe walked into my room singing
"happy birthday to you happy birthday to you MOM happy birthday to you!"
Everything is better with kids. It's so true. Next joe made me breakfast as I got ready for my surprise massage! After one of hour of relaxing bliss joe and G met me for lunch...remember calories don't count on your birthday. As I had met joe and Gemma they left in one car and I left in another to aimlessly wander stores alone for an hour or so. When I arrived home Gemma was having a nap, joe was doing laundry and had cleaned the whole house! What a man. By the way...he had taken the day off of work to make sure I could go and do whatever I wanted to do Gemma free. As I laid around the house eating swig cookies and relaxing joe made a steak dinner which he had shopped for and prepared. Sorry ladies he is taken...forever. Because lobsters mate for life...and mine makes me steak on my birthday.
From 6-8 I had adult like obligations such as lessons and meetings. G and joe waited up for me to eat a nothing bunt cake and sing to me. Now joe is putting gemma to bed. The man outdid himself and I'll never ask for my birthday to be skipped again now that I know what he is capable of!

Im not a huge New Years resolution fan but I love goals, change, and challenges. I have many things I would like to improve and change this year. Number one being life style changes. How I eat and maybe add some exercise. I would like to try something new, launch a blog, travel...but most importantly I want there to be some follow through. This is my weakness. I get so passionate and excited about something but then it fizzles and fades like a new year sparkler. So I have tried to make bite sized goals for each month. January included: counting calories and learn about meal prepping and nutrition. February will add vitamins and less sugar. By March I hope to have convinced myself that I can love some form of exercise! This is as far as I have planned. On top of the health goals I have reading goals and religious goals and travel goals...biting off more than I can chew is my specialty. In December I hope to be able to report that something stuck. I hope to report that I no longer eat candy with and between each meal, that I read five great books, that I saw something new, and that I'm stronger and more peaceful.

So cheers to my late twenties. It's going to be good.
Shout out to my amazing loving wonderful husband. I'm the luckiest.

1 comment:

  1. I seriously love the way your write! and I'm so happy you got such a wonderful birthday! Great job to Joe, for making it so special! !! love you friend!

    ReplyDelete